Apprentice Program for Professional Young Opera Singers
The Crested Butte Opera Studio provides gifted young singers and pianists opportunities to study and perform with leading opera professionals during a five-week residency at the Crested Butte Music Festival. Under the direction of the Opera Studio’s Artistic Director, Lynn Baker, participants will undergo a rigorous training program that includes forty hours per week of vocal and dramatic instruction. Students will perform roles in the Festival’s production of Verdi’s Falstaff, present an evening of cabaret, perform in concert with the Festival Symphony Orchestra and sing in public master classes by visiting faculty and guest artists.
2018 Crested Butte Opera Studio Audition Information
Program Dates: June 17 (arrival) through July 22 (departure)
2018 Casting Opportunities
Primary selection criteria will be vocal and dramatic accomplishment, and suitability for the mainstage roles listed below. Repertory for the Festival Symphony Orchestra concert, Cabaret Bleu, masterclasses and other performances will be chosen to best showcase the artists accepted into the program.
• Sir John Falstaff
• Alice Ford
• Meg Page
• Mistress Quickly
• Dr. Caius
Additional 2018 Performance Opportunities
• Performance with the Festival Symphony Orchestra, featuring Studio Artists in arias and ensembles by Leonard Bernstein and Gustav Mahler (professionally recorded)
• Cabaret Bleu: featuring Studio Artists in a themed, professionally-directed and staged cabaret evening (professionally recorded)
• Public masterclasses with guest faculty
• Performances at ticketed Festival and community events
• Chamber music performances with Festival Symphony Orchestra players
2018 Study Opportunities
• Daily musical coaching with Artistic Director, Lynn Baker and Master Coach, Susan Caldwell
• Dramatic work and stagecraft studies with faculty directors
• Role study with regular and visiting faculty
• Public masterclasses with guest faculty members
• Private coachings with guest faculty members
• Performance and repertoire classes
• Lyric diction and language study
• Seminars and practical classes on musical topics, Q&As with the Festival opera’s design and production teams, and career guidance from visiting opera professionals
• Regularly-scheduled physical fitness training with Jennifer Hopkinson Smith, yoga training with Sherrill Stenson
• All Studio Artists will receive a weekly stipend as well as housing for the entire program commitment.
• All Studio Artists will be eligible to receive The Crested Butte Music Festival Award for Excellence, in Memory of Rosalind Jackson, a $1,000 award, announced on the last day of the program.
• Applicants must be United States citizens or have the right to work in the United States.
• Upon signing of contract, non-U.S. citizens must provide documentary proof of the right to work in the United States from June 18- July 21, 2018.
|CITY||AUDITION DATE||APPLICATION DEADLINE|
|Cincinnati||November 11, 2017||October 11, 2017|
|New York||November 18 and 19, 2017||October 18, 2017|
|December 6, 7, 8, 9, 2017||November 6, 2017|
Applications must be received by the application deadline to ensure consideration. Applications received after the application deadline may be considered in the sole discretion of Crested Butte Opera Studio.
Applications for each audition session will be reviewed as a group after the application deadline for that audition session.has passed. Therefore no status notification before the application deadline is possible.
Callbacks will be held at the end of each audition day. Auditioners who are unable to attend callbacks should advise us of that fact when they arrive for their preliminary auditions.
PLEASE VISIT YAPTRACKER.COM TO APPLY
Director of Artistic Administration
Crested Butte Music Festival
PO Box 2117
Crested Butte, CO 81224