The Crested Butte Music Festival is excited to present a new, pre-professional apprenticeship program for young musicians from conservatories and top music schools seeking to expand their musical experience and refine their craft.
Selected participants will gain direct exposure and have the unique opportunity to sit side-by-side with professional orchestral, chamber, and solo musicians, and will gain ample performance experience in six concerts, including an operatic double-bill of Offenbach’s Island of Tulipatan and Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi with the young, professional vocalists from the distinguished Crested Butte Opera Studio.
Fellows will spend approximately three weeks gaining meaningful experience and exposure in their respective disciplines with professional musicians and artistic staff, including conductor David Stern.
- Gain practical experience in your field under the direction of leading conductors
- Work alongside active, professional musicians
- Enjoy the natural environment of the Rocky Mountains
- What You Can Expect
- Meet other young and aspiring musicians
- Expand your professional network + friends
- Be involved in the local community and have the opportunity to share music
All concerts will take place in the Mt. Crested Butte Mirror Palace, a semi-permanent structure of European origin known as a spiegeltent. Round in shape and handmade of canvas, wood and of course, plenty of mirrors, spiegeltents have traveled worldwide to host dance halls, town fairs, and other entertainment since the late 19th century. For more information on this spectacular venue, visit our page here.
- Saturday, July 9: BEEROQUE
Beer + Music? Yes please. Flutist Eugenia Zukerman joins the symphony for an evening of Baroque concertos and beer.
David Stern conducts the Island of Tulipatan and Gianni Schicchi.
- Thursday, July 20: Mothers of Identity
A program exploring the idea of “mother” and how it shaped these composers’ identities. Selections include works from Mahler, Mozart and Gorecki.
- Friday, July 21: Gala with Frank Vignola + Vinny Raniolo
A special evening benefiting the festival’s education programs and featuring unique works for symphony and gypsy jazz guitar.
Orchestral Fellows will also be invited to participate in and contribute to the community through performances of chamber music and outreach opportunities.
- Dates: July 6 to July 22, 2017
- Instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet, + Percussion.
- The program is free to all accepted musicians. Lodging and a stipend for travel and performances are also provided.
- Deadline: March 31, 2017
- Be sure to have your resume in .pdf or Word format.
- Please submit video recordings of:
A movement from a standard concerto
Two contrasting orchestral excerpts of your choosing
- To apply, please fill out the application below.
- For all queries, please contact co-Artistic Director Dr. Emily Ondracek-Peterson.
- Sorry, the application period is now closed for the 2017 Orchestral Fellows Program. Check back soon for information regarding the 2018 program.
- If you have any questions, please contact our Co-Aritistic Directors, Erik and Emily Peterson
About The Festival
In its 21st season, CBMF is a seven-week summer music festival that serves the communities on the Western Slope of the Rocky Mountains. Performances feature a diverse range of genres including symphony, opera, chamber, bluegrass, gypsy jazz, and dance from leading artists throughout the world. A multitude of educational programs provide hands-on experiences for students of all ages and abilities.
About Crested Butte
Host to one of the country’s finest wildflower displays in the summer and a rich tradition of local, unique culture, Crested Butte sits at an elevation of 8,909 feet and is nestled at a confluence of stunning mountain ranges. Access to ample backcountry makes Crested Butte a leading outdoor destination for mountain biking, hiking, fly fishing, wildflower viewing, and, in winter, challenging skiing at the Crested Butte Mountain Resort.
Crested Butte is approximately 30 minutes from Gunnison, 1 ½ hours from Montrose, and just over 4 hours from Denver.