The Crested Butte Singer Songwriter Camp is a week long camp for aspiring and accomplished songwriters alike. Learn the essential and universal skills you’ll need to write better songs and play better shows. Discover and develop the unique singer-songwriter that already lives inside you. All levels of experience and skill welcome.
The Singer Songwriter Camp will be taught by The Another Brothers, Jack Dwyer and Nathan Royal. Northwest song-slinger and strum-for-hire, Jack Dwyer, has pursued a wide-ranging career as a singer-songwriter, bandleader, side & studio musician, teacher, recording engineer and producer. Hailing from the mountain west and currently based in Salt Lake City, Royal’s music is deeply influenced by Swing, Gypsy Jazz, and American Roots Music.
The Another Brothers
In the mornings, we’ll crack open our notebooks and learn the basic tools that help us all grow our skills as writers of lyrics and composers of music. Topics will include:
▪ Mining For Ideas: How to start writing?
▪ Titles and Hooks: What makes a song catchy?
▪ The Poet’s Toolkit: Rhyme and meter, images, iambs, dactyls, trochees, and all that other good stuff.
▪ Music Theory For The Singer-Songwriter
▪ Writing For Yourself: Finding your voice
▪ Writing For An Audience: Genres, styles, and audience expectations
▪ Writing For Musicians: How to write songs that other people want to play.
▪ Group Writing: Let’s do a co-write!
▪ Song workshop: Bring your songs into the class
In the afternoons, we’ll open up our cases and learn how to bring our songs to life with workshops on:
• Harmony Singing 101
• Accompaniment: How to back yourself up.
• Arranging Your Songs
• Working With A Band: How to be a good bandleader?
• Song Circle and Jam: Let’s all share our songs!
What to bring:
- A notebook
- A recording device
- Your instrument (if you play one)
- A song (or a few) that you’ve written (or started)
What we’d like to know about you:
- What kind of music do you like?
- Are you a performer? What instrument do you play?
- Who are your biggest influences and inspirations?
- What other skills and passions do you have? Dancing? Acting?
- Why do you want to write songs?