Now in its second year, the Crested Butte Music Festival is excited to offer a pre-professional apprenticeship program for young musicians from conservatories and top music schools seeking to expand their musical experience and refine their craft. Last year’s fellows were current students and graduates of Curtis, Harvard, New England Conservatory, The Juilliard School, New World Symphony, The Cleveland Institute of Music, and many more.
Selected participants will gain direct exposure and have the unique opportunity to sit side-by-side with professional orchestral, chamber, and solo musicians, and will gain ample performance experience in six orchestral concerts, including multiple performances of Verdi’s Falstaff with the young, professional vocalists from the distinguished Crested Butte Opera Studio. Chamber music performances and outreach are also a part of the CBMF Orchestral Fellows experience.
Fellows will spend approximately 2.5 weeks in July gaining meaningful experience and exposure in their respective disciplines with professional musicians and artistic staff, including conductors Tito Munoz and Brian Garman. Masterclasses and other learning opportunities will also be made available to participants.
- Gain practical experience in your field under the direction of leading conductors
- Work alongside active, professional musicians
- Enjoy the natural environment of the Rocky Mountains
- Receive a stipend
- Housing will be provided by CBMF
- Meet other young and aspiring musicians
- Expand your professional network + friends
- Be involved in the local community and have the opportunity to share music
Orchestral Fellows will participate in six orchestral concerts: a baroque chamber performance, two symphony concerts, and three performances of Verdi’s Falstaff.
Fellows will also be invited to participate in and contribute to the community through performances of chamber music and outreach opportunities.
- Dates: July 5th (or 8th depending on instrument) through July 23, 2018
- Instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet.
- The program is free to all accepted musicians. Lodging and a stipend for travel and performances are also provided.
- Deadline: March 23rd, 2018
- Be sure to have your resume in .pdf or Word format.
- Please submit video recordings of:
A movement from a standard concerto
Two contrasting orchestral excerpts of your choosing
- To apply, please fill out the application below.
- For all queries, please contact co-Artistic Director Emily Ondracek-Peterson.
About The Festival
In its 22nd season, CBMF is a summer music festival that serves the communities on the Western Slope of the Rocky Mountains. Performances feature a diverse range of genres including symphony, opera, chamber, bluegrass, gypsy jazz, and dance from leading artists throughout the world. A multitude of educational programs provide hands-on experiences for students of all ages and abilities.
About Crested Butte
Host to one of the country’s finest wildflower displays in the summer and a rich tradition of local, unique culture, Crested Butte sits at an elevation of 8,909 feet and is nestled at a confluence of stunning mountain ranges. Access to ample backcountry makes Crested Butte a leading outdoor destination for mountain biking, hiking, fly fishing, wildflower viewing, and, in winter, challenging skiing at the Crested Butte Mountain Resort.
Crested Butte is approximately 30 minutes from Gunnison, 1 ½ hours from Montrose, and just over 4 hours from Denver.
Check out our visit page for more information about transportation, lodging, and activities in the Gunnison Valley.